NOMOS EMATHIAS - VERIA
This description provides information of ancient sites, seaside resorts, churches, monasteries, landscapes and small towns and villages. Additional details can be found in various books printed on Greece, such as the 'Blue Guide to Greece.' The names of places conform to the accented Greek pronounciation which would be the one a traveller would face upon a potential visit.
For a general map of the area, click above map icon.
To go back to the Ellada main page, click here!
The Canton or Prefecture of Emathia, is fiund in the western side of the center of Macedonia, between the rivers Aliakmon and Loudias. The Western side is bordered by the Vermion mountains with its unique passage to Kozani (Kastania Pass), found in the southern side. Towns like V�ria are ski resorts and have been for many years, and guarantee snow for many months during the year while Naousa offers beautiful vistas and virgin territory.
The capital of the canton and second city in central Macedonia after Thesaloniki, Veria is build in the eastern slopes of the Vermion mountain. The town is ancient in origin and appeared in historical texts arounf the 5th century BC. Nearby are the ruins of the Vergina palace used by King Philip and his son, Alexander the Great. During 154 BC, the Romans took it over and it lived through a period of great splendor. At around 54AD, the Apostle Paul passed through here and brought Christianity with him. In evidence is V�ma, the square where he spoke. Veria became part of Greece in 1912.
By Bus: There is a daily bus to Veria from Athens, which takes 8 hours, 01/ 5129308. From Thesaloniki, frequent buses take about 1 30' to take you there, 031/522160.
By train: There are frequent trains from Athens, through Plati junction, and from Thesaloniki.
In 1977, professor Manolis Andronikos, noticed that in an old tomb, reflections of shining sun light took place that tempted his curiosity. This led to the famous discovery of the four graves and the immense wealth stored there. The wealth was for King Philip and his 7 wives burried alongside him. Cloth material, gold objects and other very well preserved artifacts are all in evidence in the Thesaloniki Archaeological Museum.
A town blessed with water which generates electricity, processes rugs and skins and also produces many fruits. Called a heroic city after the time when 1500 local men, all tied together, were beheaded by the Turkish occupiers during the war of independence. This is still marked every year, when during the Carnival in February, local young men dress up in the typical dress of the area and parade throughout the town.
Bus: Daily bus from Athens takes about 8 hours, 01/ 512 9308. From Thesaloniki, frequent buses take 2 hours to ferry visitors. By train there a daily schedule from Athens and many more from Thesaloniki.
A beautiful town, with many bridges, center of the skin trade and location of the Vermion hotel which offers restaurant, taverna and wonderful setting.
The place where the school used by Alexandfer the Great was located. Named, the "Temple of the Nymphs," as well as several tombs.
Place where prehistoric abodes have been found, probably occupied by farmers, dated to about 10,000 years BC.
Agios Pavlos, 0332/ 23032
Macedonia, 0331/ 66902
Basilisa Vergina, 0331/ 24886
Vila Elia, 0331/26800
Veroi, 0331/ 22866
Seli, 0332/ 71206
Vermion, 0332/ 29311
Xenon Ellas, 0332/22006